The Perils of Godmodding

Now, I'm sure some people may get lost.
polyedit2000
Site Admin

The Perils of Godmodding

Post by polyedit2000 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:47 pm

I did not think I had to put down a topic for RP etiquette here, but I guess I have to as etiquette was not assumed. Most etiquette revolves around avoiding Godmodding, actions that warp the fabric of the RP to your favor. Godmodding mainly serves to paint yourself as the greatest action figure, which I don't care about, but if you continue to grab my attention in such a manner, I will turn the offending character into a powerless plush doll, set to last for a few RPs. I will at least try to link you to some other Etiquettes and calm down before punishment.

===

If you watched Death Battle: Thanos vs Darkseid, the Infinity Stones are powerful babbles that can destroy half of the universe with a snap. Godmodding is the assumption that the Stones make you powerful in another person's RP too. Sadly, that is not the case since the Stones only hold power in their own universes. That is, you may be a god in your world, but not in mine. Here are some of the forms of Godmodding to look out for:

Snowballing-
You can make a small snowball to toss some lore, but have you ever watched that commercial where a kid drops a snowball down a hill and takes out a house with it? Snowballing goes beyond being anointed as the party leader and becoming a dictator where it's only your way or your way. Snowballing are actions that make you the focal point regardless of who the GM chooses, and it can get to the point that you overthrow the story by introducing new races on an uninhabited island, open up black holes near schools, or know the mysterious of an unknown god. The GM already has difficulty plotting out twists and turns and they don't need to control the elements they never introduced too!

Powerplaying-
Even gods can bleed, and humans like the Avengers, Sora and Joker have defeated gods, so what is wrong with your god? Powerplays are actions that assume maximum benefits for minimal efforts, whether you treat an explosion like a scratch or a scratch like an explosion. Most commonly, such actions include erasing foes or avoiding attacks without dodging. They can also occur outside of battle too by acquiring powerful equipment, casting spells you barely read a sentence on, and having power in no-power zones. There's no issue playing an actual god, but the one who should be playing god is the GM.

Godmodding Waltz-
Another term for Godmodding is controlling other characters, namely characters that you didn't start with. This is essentially getting another character to crossdress by dragging them halfway through town or to sneak items into their non-existent pockets. It is also not limited to characters only, as one could pull out a book of summoning from the chair of someone who never summoned before. Roleplaying is where people have one chance to pull out a flashlight or key, and forcing other people to pull out a key is a sabotage despite how helpful it can be.

Meta-Gaming-
Meta-knowledge uses information outside of the current RP, whether they're from OOC revelations or settings that are only similar by genre. It's bad enough that your character can come off as breaking the fourth wall (a taboo in serious fanfiction), but it's also bad if you deem your "logic" superior to the GM's own setting. For example, if a GM uses World of Warcraft's battle system as a character barrier, that barrier shouldn't be overcome with Limit Breaks. Similarly, trust in the GM to generate the potions of their Final Fantasy rather than assuming everything is heal with Epic Fantasy foods.

---

I'll be honest, Godmodding is not easy to cull. Even I have a character with the attribute "Win At All Costs" and only my use of him as a background character makes him limited. So how do I stop RPing (from the perspective of a non-GM)? Honestly, there should be some guidelines, but I'll just summarize them in three parts:

1- The GM is Word
The GM is the maker of the world. They alone should make the plots and the little details. If they leaves out anything else, it's for dramatic effect. The player is not the GM and thus cannot twist the plot.

The GM is the strongest person in the RP. There will be no measuring contests. If your powers are sealed, there are no workarounds because the GM has you in mind despite not knowing you. Despite this, the GM is not obligated to fight you but neither are they obligated to let you fight.

2-Feeding the Word
When you act, you react. You are not seeing the whole Xanatos chess come to live, so you do not plot the whole battle. When you talk, others act, so do not expect the world to pause for twenty questions. It is best that you act and see if it bears fruit rather than to act and assume all things follow your plan.

When you act, only you act. Do not assume that nothing explodes, or that your partner is willing and graceful. When you act, you must also trust, not for things to go your way but for others to know your way.

3-Your Own Word
Your legend is not about mutilating the legend of the world. You must realize the line where you value your strength, for beyond that is the line of forgetting what it means to have power. Rather than change to world to show off your power, you should show the world how strong you are despite the rigidity of the world.

In other words, you roleplay. You are not proving to anyone what words you created as accomplishments nor crafting the perfect story. You are proving that you can survive in another person's story. For the Devourer is no friend nor fiend, but merely to be entertained.

Flashlight237

Re: The Perils of Godmodding

Post by Flashlight237 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm well aware that this entire post was directed towards myself and largely myself, and again, I apologize for it. I won't go into another day's-long discussion about it (been down that road; don't want it happening again too soon). One small request from me; could you sticky/highlight this?

polyedit2000
Site Admin

Post by polyedit2000 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm not naming names. The main reason I posted this is because there is more than one person with this issue that I put this up for future reference.

polyedit2000
Site Admin

Post by polyedit2000 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:42 pm

We are fans of characters, whether they are from a show or book or our own characters inserted into their world. At first, we are Fans of Purity, liking them for their looks and personalities, but over time, we might morph into Fans of Escalation that view them as our gods. To me, recognizing that I'm a Fan of Escalation is as simple as saying Nightmare should have won that Death Battle despite the fact that Guts had superior stats.

Sadly, being a Fan of Escalation isn't just taking sides in a Goku vs Superman debate but also changing characters to work on their level. This is somewhat common in fanfictions where Naruto becomes a super-strong ninja after graduating, becoming more difficult to hit than Tobi and smarter than a Nara. Or in other words, making a character who only shares that name. It's more difficult if it's our OCs we become a Fan of Escalation, as we are often prideful people. And when we escalate our OCs or characters we play as, we run the risk of Powerplaying them or worse, being OOC with them.

So, how do we keep our characters pure? I don't think it's only a matter of weakening them to human levels if that's your first answer. Rather, it's a matter of accepting the entirety of your characters, both the good and the bad. But first, I think we should find out the parts that makes us escalate our characters to undefeatable in the first place:

---

Infinity Stones Only Work in their Universes-

As I said earlier, the Infinity Stones are powerful things, but only in their universes; Three Mr. Fantastics each wielded full sets of Stones but two of them died when fighting in one universe. This pertains to what can be defined as "power", whether it's possession of an artifact or being a "universal" constant. It's one thing if your universe is literally written into existance, but do not expect another person to abandon the skeleton of their universe for your own.

Only I Can Kill My Evil Twin-

Sometimes, our characters will have a story where they'll have a fated match or can only be killed with a certain weapon. Some fanfics would have Dumbledore following the prophecy because he accepts that Voldemort is a slippery bastard, but some fanfics would also portray Dumbledore having one specific plan that won't even accept a change in pairing, and some of our characters might end up the latter where we try to negate certain actions because of inter-character relationships. Try to settle this fated match outside of the RPs or at least show that you're not ready to have that fated match.

Dragon Ball Z Starring Humans-

Some people like to shoot beams in Dragon Ball Z. When you think of Dragon Ball Z, you think of Goku, yet there are some humans like Roshi and Krillin that fought to save their universe and can shoot beams (but are more on the sidelines). Pretty much adapting a power or discipline from a work doesn't make you a Grandmaster compared to those in the thick of the plot. Even if you were Goku's brother...well, he was killed despite having a higher power level. In other words, whatever forms you take on should be judged first as a fighting style rather than a power level.

---

So, what are some enablers of such escalation? Unfortunately, some people do use the most obvious high-end powers. Anyway, here's a list of some powers that I feel most godmodders would like:

Item Creation:

The ability to create an item from thin air. This ability would negate the need for working for a goal (opening doors or earning loot) and can repair even unique items. According to Momo from My Hero Academia, the limit of her version is the need to expose a lot of skin and consuming a lot of calories. And I suppose Emiya can only craft weaker versions of swords. The point is, if your character doesn't sweat when conjuring a computer with Windows 10 pre-installed, you may want to retune this ability.

Regeneration:
The ability to heal from damage. In a broad sense, it's any ability that shakes off damage. It pretty much makes your character look undefeatable. Hm, I suppose Sako has this kind of ability to attach her hands back if they get chopped off, but I think she bears the pain while that happens. Anyway, regeneration does have some flaws like Deadpool needing time to regrow his limbs or Heracles living up to 12 times, and even so, regen can be bad as Bleach shows a mad scientist infecting a regenerator with a pain-amplification drug.

Sealing Negation:
The ability to undo power seals, usually by overpowering said seals or using an "uncommon" power. Similar is the ability to apply seals. Anyway, you should try to respect the GM's power seals as they aim for a "baseline" in an RP, but you should not expect to be absolute when it's from one character to another. Think of this as Naruto, where the Death God's sealing keeps Kyuubi from escaping whereas a chakra sealing from Neji Hyuuga was overpowered by Kyuubi's chakra.

Teleportation:
The ability to get go from Point A to Point B instantly. This has an issue of avoiding hits in battles or to bypass or leave a RP without feasible explanation. You should at least assume that a RP has an anti-Apparation ward, but otherwise, you would have to figure out if teleportation has a cooldown like Tracer or a set-up time like Symmetra.

Power As The Plot Demands:
This should not be a power, but it is the ability to reveal an ability or knowledge for a situation. It's one thing where it's because a character needs an upper hand, but it's another thing when it becomes a battle tactic, trying to surprise the GM rather than show you can fight in a dire situation. It may be bearable if the reason for the hidden power comes with drawbacks such as Child Emperor's mech having a timer or Shinso's voice changer not enough to improve his capturing skills.

One Punch:
A.K.A. Saitama. Pretty much if your character can beat Saitama, your character's too strong.

---

The point is to try and create a character from a point of purity, when you like a character for them and not whatever power you can stuff in. That's why I visualize my characters with multiversal counterparts, seeing how a character can play out if given skills rather than give them all the playstyles at once.

polyedit2000
Site Admin

Post by polyedit2000 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Lore is pretty vital to the world and to our characters. From lore, we learn that a town has its eccentric characters and its pride. We learn what a character does for a day job and what limits they have to trust. It is easy to dive into a world's lore yet so difficult to become part of that lore.

---

Let's start with defining your character. If your character is "fresh" for each RP, that's good, but keep in mind they wouldn't know about other RPs. If your character is a hopper from one RP to another, then that's where things get interesting, because I've RPed from fantasy to sci-fi on topics from shops to sweets. You could be a casual hopper, knowing that you've visited them, but when you're trying to be a serious hopper that builds your lore on these RPs, you have to know how the universe works.

First, you must realize there is more than one universe and that you'll be RPing in the GM's own universe. It's like comparing Marvel and DC where both have heroes and magic but one universe possesses super-metals and the other has gods and demons closer to home.

Secondly, don't integrate yourself into the universe just yet. At least try to recognize when your own lore conflicts with what the GM is trying to set up, because if the GM wants to set up five special warriors, it is not an excuse to claim one spot. Also, do not try to "complete" a previous incomplete RP when continuing because that is an excuse to improve the ego of your own character and it may end up different than the attitude the GM would have continued with. For all you know, you might try to create a different origin from an RP while ignoring how the previous RPs start.

Instead, the safest bet is simply to say you've been there, to compare universes, or to merely suspect. Don't say with absolute certainty as if you own the GM's universe. When you enter a RP, come in as a participant of the circumstances, not as the exception planning to break out.

On the GM side, do not easily dismiss a character. Some RPers want to try new concepts, and while some RPs are more suited for girl-on-girl action, it won't stop them from testing the waters with a polar bear. Find out if the actions of a character are intentional or easily misinterpreted because, like a MMO, there are people who won't be happy dismissed on a whim and can screw the group over with their exit.

polyedit2000
Site Admin

Post by polyedit2000 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 pm

First, it's to preserve Saitama's title of One Punch Man.

Second, Saitama's Word-Of-God maximum is half-the-universe, which I think is limited by the direction of his punch. Even if we lower this amount, we are talking about an alien raider of several planets who is equipped with regen and a planet-buster attack, who made Saitama throw a Serious Punch, and knows Saitama's been holding back.

But truthfully, it's a matter of realizing that your character can be beaten, that no one's truly invincible or dodge-spamming. If you are unwilling to lose in this scenario, then what does it say about you when presented against a normal foe?

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:00 pm

polyedit2000 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 pm
Second, Saitama's Word-Of-God maximum is half-the-universe, which I think is limited by the direction of his punch.
If, by Word of God you're talking Murata, it was very recently learned/revealed that Murata's statements are purely his own opinion unless he specifies that whatever he said came from ONE.: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:2257445

irRESPondible

Post by irRESPondible » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:07 pm

According to some material, like the manga, Saitama, because he was training to become stronger and stronger without a basic goal in mind, went so far that he broke his personal limit (it's series lore that each person/being/race/whatever comes with a limit due to how they were conceived and that limit is their top potential) and went way beyond his potential, giving him a potential towards infinity.
If you think I'm just crazy, it's because you haven't toured into my mind, yoh. CHALE-ALÉ!