Overbound
"some kind of food maker, a popcorn machine or microwave oven as ella said .... heh, did we get it completely wrong?"
Claire thought the whole thing over. "I was taking notes of the stalls and I did mention making food fast. I don't know about a microwave, but you somehow took two separate statements for that. Anyway, this should be a popcorn maker."

Claire went on to explain that the current popcorn boy couldn't stir right, so she has been working on a stirring mechanism as well as a replacement heat source instead of firewood. And maybe a few other things like sugar/salt dispensers and bucket grabbers. "The thing is, the finished product has to be something that can be used in Esylum, meaning that it could be rejected for being too Synthorn. Though my mind is focusing on additions...what do you think this cart actually needs?"
[Image: Beta.png]
"ah .... our mistake" April looked to the side, rubbing the back of her head awkwardly, her cheeks burning with a blush of embarrassment. "s-sorry, w-we thought ... w-well never mind, ... why wouldn't it be approved in Synthorn? don't you guys have fairs or celebrations here too? or even just movie theaters? on the surface we couldn't really get popcorn until we made our own popcorn machine, some I'm impressed that you guys where able to do it without one."
Claire dumped the pot and exhaled dramatically. "The issue's not about a popcorn machine in Synthorn, it's about a popcorn machine in Esylum. But if you guys can't even understand that concept, I doubt the old folks would get it either."
I have a feeling Claire's gonna have a harder time dealing with the old-timey aspects of life than Elizabeth seemed to have with the newer aspects of life, Ella thought. "If that's the case, I think you're adding too much," Ella replied. "In all honesty, if we're talking about Esylum, just the stirring mechanism is enough, preferably with a hand crank. You'll wanna ease those guys into it, not throw everything but the kitchen sink at them with one device. They can tolerate a stirring mechanism since that means they can still have someone watch over the popcorn and carefully mix the ingredients, but beyond that, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate everything being automated with how into their craft they can be. Not to mention, in all honesty, where the heck are they gonna find other resources for heat and energy if they want to get it themselves and not have to rely on Synthorn?"
"ah ... guess I didn't get enough sleep, sorry ..." april sighed, letting Ella take the lead.
"Hm...you do have a point. There's a type of quality in handcrafted." Claire picked up the parts and started to assemble the cart. "I can swap out the belt for a rod system..."

It seems that Claire will be busy for a bit, and night is starting to fall anyway.
"Well, it's about nightfall," Ella said. "Well, since we missed out on the Soul Dance when we first entered Esylum, think we can try to attend then next one should it occur tomorrow?" Ella asked Hannah. "Lilith seemed curious if us humans can feel something from it a couple days ago."
"gotta wait till there next meeting anyways to see if we where able to convince them so we should have plenty of time." April hummed, curiously glancing around. "hey claire, I know you're ... probably gonna be busy but mind if I test out some of restraints still?"
"Sure sure." Although Claire absentmindedly agreed, it seems that the only restraint she didn't clear out were those cocooning collars.

...Anyway, the girls could head back to the inn where Elizabeth and Claire are likely to "meet up" again. While Lilith isn't there, one must wonder if the captains have made up their minds yet.
"I think we should probably head back to the inn, Hannah," Ella said. "I don't think Claire really acknowledged you that time."
"eh, worth a shot trying" April sighed, shrugging her shoulder as she waved good bye to Claire, following Ella and making her way out of the warehouse ... though she did grab a few collars ... just in case.
So the inn...do you think the girls are ready to see the fruits of their labor, or should they wait another day?
Heck with it, let's see if it worked or not. If so, great. If not... Well, they tried.
April followed Ella in, curiously fiddling with the collars.
Long story short, Claire learned that the old ways can benefit from new advances when eased in, and Elizabeth learned that the generation can find enjoyment in the old ways. The two Hornkin have agreed to meet midway. They no longer have to decide if it is Esylum or Synthorn that will become this town. For now, the new project will be: New Esylum.

===

"Though realistically, it would be some time before New Esylum replaces both towns." Claire told the girls. "Still, the new plans might be able to bide both sides, so we do not have to worry about any civil uprising."

"For your part, we will not capture you." Elizabeth sipped her tea. "Actually, what brings you two this far into Dark Under?"
"Well, we were hiking up this mountain until we fell into the hole and..."

Ella proceeded to explain to the pair about their visit to Lilith's place, their fight against Devon, their awkward fight against the magician Skitts, their run-in with a few mischievous kids and a haggard woman, and the sudden closure of Lake Oobleck.

"And that's basically why we came here; to try and get in good graces with the Hornkin like we had before. It's something that we can only get done right if we did it on our own, though the challenges this place puts out for us. There's also that Azuros guy, but I only hadn't brought him up because I have a very good feeling we aren't done with him. Thinking about it, Hannah and I should probably backtrack to Sand Tomb and maybe Lake Oobleck if the lake got cleaned up. Before we do..." Ella turned to Elizabeth. "Liz, when is the next Soul Dance? Lilith had wondered if we humans can feel something from the Soul Dance and we hadn't gotten the chance to partake in it last time."
"... April, my name is April" April sighed, shaking her head as she nodded along with, only adding in "a nice plus side is being able to explore .. and well, getting to try these" she whispered the last part, holding up on of the collars she nabbed with a slight blush.
"I don't believe that's what she said..." Elizabeth shook her head. "Anyway, the next soul dance falls on the anniversary of our arrival to the Dark Under, so it will be hosted at the castle."

"The path to the castle and barrier are at the back of Synth...at the newer part of town." Claire pointed out. "And in the back of the old part of town is a waterway to reach the other towns faster."

"Whatever you do is up to you." Elizabeth replied. "Though I don't expect any further issues in the Dark Under."
Well, hope there's time left after this to attend. Ella thought. "Well, April, there's only Sand Tomb and the lake left to tend to before we can safely meet face to face with the Queen," Ella said. "I'd say we go for the Sand Tomb first since I think it's easier to get there through the waterway."