Overbound
"I still consider the lack of identification of the deceased ill-practice, especially considering the civilization you got the idea from," Ella replied. "A lot of people visit the graves of their ancestors, regardless of their race. As a result, the Egyptians sought to preserve the deceased in every way possible, both body, mind, and soul, and as a result, they kept every aspect they could, including their identity which the name plays a huge part in. As a result of their work in keeping the identity intact, people to this day put the names of the deceased on headstones."
"The name of the souls have more power than the names of the body, and we speak to the souls. We record those names. We only preserve the bodies as there are no better conduits to house the soul." The captain studied the girls. "Of course, your kind has destroyed our graves, comparing our respect to the insult you call necromancy."
[Image: Beta.png]
"Whoa whoa whoa, back up." Ella replied, basically about to snap. "You really think the European people from over a century or so ago who killed people over the fictitious crime of witchcraft or the Vikings that raided and pillaged many villages are a representation of us? Man, if my cousin Gwen were here right now, she'd give you a more serious talking to than I would! We have Native Americans, humans nowhere near what you went on about, regularly performing ghost dances even after colonizing armies drove them off their homelands, and we got Mexican people jollily celebrating the deceased in body, mind, and soul, going out of their way to give them offerings of food and drink in lovingly-crafted home altars called Ofrendas to the deceased, all in a holiday called 'Dios de Los Muertos,' and there's even a 2015 'Dios de Los Muertos' movie called 'Coco' showing what happens when the dead loses the memories of the living and thus their identity. If Mexicans treat their dead better than you treat your dead despite being an entirely separate race, then you gotta re-evaluate your freaking life choices. And you, who should know better than a freaking goth girl about this subject matter yet somehow don't, claim that we're just barbarians who are no different from witch hunters and oil moguls?! Lady, I don't care what title you hold, screw off with that bullshit! And by the way, we aren't freaking tinfoil hat-wearing hooligans who think necromancy exist like you think we are!" Soon after that rant, Ella breathed heavily.
"..... huh?" April glanced back and forth between the two, completely and utterly lost, a look of utter confusion on her face, before she eventually gave up on following the conversation, shrugging her shoulders as she wandered off deeper into the pyramid to let the two argue, setting down the whine back where she found it.
"Let me present a counterargument..." The captain slammed Ella against a wall and pinned her there. "Your kind is exceptionally easy to kill, and centuries of hatred is a good reason to do that. And if anyone didn't want to kill you, they will torment your soul for a very long time. And you're deep inside a place where two more bodies won't be missed."

"It's only because the Queen promises to damn the souls of anyone who breaks you that you still walk. That despite claiming our ways are 'bullshit', it's the very same bullshit keeping me from tearing your jowls off." The captain loosened her grip just a bit. "Be glad the Queen is lenient on us too, or else I would have no choice but to continue my damnation."

---

Innocent little April would find herself lost in the tomb, finding a room where there were a few rolls of bandages and trinkets. And a slab of a table since this seems to be a prep room.
"That would be true if you're talking to an ordinary human, but me..."

((Rolled a 20 for strength:
    ))

Ella pushed back, with visibly equal strength to, maybe a smidge more than, the Hornkin. "Where I went to, I competed against people who can lift whole trees, twins who can survive poisoning and underwater walking, and a megalomaniac who would've killed everyone around her for the sake of monetary gain. We dealt with challenges that sent aggressive animals against us, electrocuted us, thrown us into a giant cavern, and had us go through the bowels of a mechanical island that gone haywire and was about to self-destruct. All this was done in the hands of Chris McLean, a man so callous and bloodthirsty that, despite having no magic, would give your Queen a run for her money with his evils. And guess what? I persevered through half that competition with little more than minor spine pain. And that's not all. While in this mountain, I've came across many Hornkin, and from the times I spent with them, I'm more than inclined to believe that you're the only one who is outright scornful of us humans while the others, while undoubtedly apprehensive, were at the very least cordial and insightful. Heck, we literally got here by a Hornkin ferry. I suggest stepping out of this place for more than ten minutes if I were you."
"they still at it?" April could help but wonder, still able to hear the two arguing, their voices echoing throughout the pyramid, ignoring them she curiously looked over the table and trinkets before her. "so this is where they prepare their dead? I wonder ... is it like the Egyptians? like the pyramid? or do they do something different?"
The Hornkin chuckled. "That's your answer? To think everything you done is greater than our struggles, to think your eyes are greater than our words? Though I suppose...given your answer, you'll fail to convince her anyway."

---

A thud drew April's attention. It was only the bleeding body of Skitts that fell behind her.
April let out a yelp of surprise, practically jumping onto the table as she quickly spun on her heel to see what had happened. "... skitts? are you okay?" she asked, worriedly heading over to check on her. helping her sit up.
Still maintaining the deadlock between her own strength and that of the Hornkin, Ella said, "That won't mean we wouldn't try. Even then, you are wrong on one thing. Action speak louder than words; even you should know that. And what I've been through aren't mere words. Throughout my time in the mountain, along with a friend, I have volunteered for soul-based stage magic, helped a haggard deal with some delinquents, and established peace between the towns of old and new: Esylum and Synthorn. All these, as far as I'm aware, are just small steps toward a bigger goal. And quite frankly..." A pinkish aura surrounded Ella's hands. An early sign of soul magic, perhaps? "That's what keeps me determined..." Ella soon managed to push the Hornkin away.
Skitts had a dagger in her hand though the wound in her guts was much bigger and had cut through her spine.

"I really thought...my magic trick would work." Skitts muttered. "Maybe then I could enjoy it...and not break the rules..."

---

The Captain took note of Ella's hand. "...Was that part of her plan? She plans to esca-"

A blade goes through the Captain's throat, easily silencing her. When Ella turns, she could only hear footsteps running up towards the entrance.
"Skitts? c-come on, y-you're gonna be fine, y-you're gonna p-preform a lot m-more magic tricks, b-besides y-y-you haven't m-made me y-your assistant yet, r-right?" April sputtered and fumbled over her words worriedly, completely unsure what to do as she lifted her up and moved her towards the table, frantically scrambling around to try and stop the bleeding and fix up her wound.
Skitts coughed up blood. "Your tricks' all about...misdirection. Had you thinking...I was your friend...but I guess I...got caught up in the act."

Skitts coughed up more as she tried to laugh. "I guess...my brother's a better magician...Maybe his queen too...Don't think...her peace...is...ours..."
"I think someone's looking for a bad time..." Ella said.

((Uh oh. Here comes one of those Genocide Run fellas.))
"j-j-just .. s-s-shut up, s-stop t-talking .. I d-d-don't know w-w-what to do, w-what do I do, wh-what e-e-e-even happened?!" April sputter out, squeaking and squealing as her nerves where getting the better of her and was obviously panic, putting pressure on the wound as she frantically looked around for anything that could help her.
"Too late, I'm dead."  Skitt's soul(?) fluttered above her obviously dead body.  "I just need a new vessel before my soul flutters away." 

---

"Forget about him."  The soul of the captain flew into the hallway.  It seemed horrified as the sarcophagi were all wrecked.  "Human...if you want answers, find me a vessel before I drift."
"Right..." Ella ran in. "Oh god..! This is gonna be tough... Let's see..." Ella looked around and found an intact mummy about six feet away from her. "Here!" Ella picked up the mummy, then, with her determination-powered right hand, grabbed the captain's soul and stuck her into the mummy.
".... eh? just l-like that?" April couldn't help but blink, looking like a deer caught in headlights as she stared up at Skitts ghost, in utter confusion. "s-s-sure? d-do you have a p-preference? o-or what c-can be used as a vessel?"
"...Rgh...rhe's pretty sloppy today."  The captain wiggled in the surprisingly intact mummy.  "Alright, short answer:  You conducting soul magic means powerful Hornkin can take your human body to pass through the barrier, and I have a feeling said Hornkin is not planning to share or return."

The mummy looked around.   "...Want me to expand on anything?"

---

"A Hornkin body.  They should be preserved in a statue..."   Skitts started to drift.  "A Hornkin-made item can hold me temporarily until we find one..."
"Yes. Who is this Hornkin you speak of, and why have they elected to go the Genocide Route?"